History of the Colonel Shepard House
Colonel Shepard House
The Milford Montessori School
was the home of the founder of Milford, New Hampshire
Est. in 1757, The Milford Montessori House was the home of the founder of Milford, NH.
Col. John Shepard (1710 - 1780) became a Colonel during the American Revolution.
He led a brigade that traveled to Boston and fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Colonel Shepard was born in Concord, MA and matriculated to Southern, New Hampshire in the 1741 when comissioned to build a mill along the Souhegan River.
Mill Village, as it was called during it's infancy, was home to Colonel Shepards' sawmill and later his gristmill. Shepards Mill became known as "Mill by the Ford".
Eventually this settlement was named Milford.
During his life, Colonel Shepard had 2 wives and 10 children. His burial plot is located in the historic cemetery behind the Amherst town Hall.
Colon Shepard's home was part of the Underground Railroad and it's grounds are over 250 years old. The school house was added onto over the 150 some years the Shepard lineage lived in the house.
Teaching our children the importance of history, community, and tradition is paramount to The Milford Montessori. Colonel Shepard's historic home is integral to that aspect of education.
We are honored to keep the spirit & history of Colonel Shepard and the town of Milford alive, each and every day we teach your children from it.
Every lesson takes place in a piece of history.